Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Had this at a camp ground after a concert, hence the name. I always add hot peppers to the corn bread mix.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages Mexican cornbread mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 eggs
- Scramble hamburger and onion in skillet and drain off fat.
- Mix corn bread mix with milk, corn and eggs.
- Put half of corn bread mixture in baking dish (9X13 in).
- Cover with meat and cheese.
- Pour rest of corn bread mixture over that.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until brown.
This was a wonderful dinner!I actually added the jalapeno pepper, about 1/2 cup rotel tomatoes(drained somewhat)and a 4 oz can of black olives to the meat mixture--everything else I left the same. I made this in a deep dish pan(11x9)and that worked great it rose tall and pretty in that pan, and looked as good as it tasted.It only took 45 mins for me using this pan.Enjoyed it tremendously for dinner and lunch the next day. Yum:)PeggyLynn
This was great. I didn't have mexican cornbread so I added a can of chopped green chilis to regular mix. The cornbead mixture is very, very liquidy but that appears to be the way it's supposed to look. I also noted that it took somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour to bake. The taste was very good and dh went back for seconds (not something he does as a rule). Two thumbs up from my family.