Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mom got this recipe in the early 70's from someone at work. This is a great bread for sandwiches or even a rustic style supper. The bread is a coarse style bread - full of air holes but loaded with fresh made bread flavor. No need for a bread machine for this bread! Prep time does not include overnight rise time.
- In large mixing bowl, dump all ingredients together and stir until blended well.
- Cover with a towel and lid (for weight) and let stand overnight.
- DO NOT STIR OR KNEAD.
- In the morning, prep 3 loaf pans by greasing well with shortening or butter. Pour batter direct from bowl into the loaf pans, dividing the dough evenly.
- Bake immediately in pre-heated 350º oven for 30 minutes. Bread is done when golden brown and when tapped lightly gives a hollowed sound.
- Remove from pans immediately and let cool on wire rack.
- *If mixture looks too dry you can add extra water as needed.
- **Options - Sprinkle sesame seeds or dried onion flakes to the top of the bread if desired.
- Freeze baked bread (wrap well and place in freezer safe bag) when completely cooled for later use. Shelf/counter life of baked bread is 3-4 days maximum.