3 hrs 15 mins
A recipe from a church cookbook I inherited from my Great Aunt (the St. John's Lutheran Church in Summit, NJ from 1963). I have not tried these yet. I would imagine the amont of jelly added is very much to taste - feel free to add more per doughnut if you like them really full of jelly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 envelope active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp total)
- 295.73 ml milk, lukewarm
- 118.29 ml shortening, soft
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml lemon, zest of, grated
- 29.58 ml rum
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1182.95 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml grated nutmeg
- oil, for deep frying
- 138.01 ml jelly (any combination of flavors you like) (optional)
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- 1Add yeast to luekwarm milk, stir and lest rest a few minutes.
- 2Add half of the shortening, the sugar, salt, lemon zest, rum, and nutmeg.
- 3Stir in eggs and half of the flour, mixing until smooth.
- 4Add remaining shortening and flour and mix well.
- 5Turn out dough onto a floured board and knead well, about 5-10 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl, flip dough over once to grease top, cover, and let rise until doubles in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 7Roll out on a floured board to 1/4" thick.
- 8Cut into rounds or squares.
- 9Place on greased baking sheets, cover and let rise until doubled.
- 10Fry in hot oil (350 F) according to your deep fryer's instructions or until golden brown.
- 11Drain on paper towels, then coat with powdered sugar if desired as soon as they are cooled.
- 12If desired, inject a tsp of any flavor jelly into each cooked doughnut using a pastry bag fitted with a round tip.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hint of Rum Raised Jelly Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 28
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.8
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 94.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g