Recipe by JanetB-KY
Posted for World Tour 2006, this is a traditional German accompaniment to sausages or pork dishes. The flavors meld quite a bit better than one unaccustomed to it would guess. Try it--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large tart apples, sliced (Granny Smiths are good here)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 inch water to boiling; add potatoes, apples and sugar; heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain.
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels; cook and stir onion in bacon fat until soft and lightly browned.
- Place potatoes and apples in serving bowl; dot with butter, salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with nutmeg; top with bacon and onion and serve.
- Alternatively, you can boil the potatoes and apples, then fry them in a little bit of oil to get them browned and crispy then mix with all the other ingredients.