Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely rich filling from the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Cooking time is approximate. Yields enough filling for two 9-inch layers.
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar and cornstarch together and add to egg yolks.
- Stir in sour cream and cook in double boiler until it coats the spoon.
- Add the flavorings and stir well.
- Let cool to room temperature before assembling cake.
I used this to frost my daughter's first birthday cake (Recipe 305907) and it was delicious! I had enough left over to use it as an alternate filling in a layer cake I made as well (the other filling I used was chocolate custard and they complemented each other nicely). Thanks for sharing this great recipe!