Recipe by Hill Family
This is a bit different from the others because it contains water chestnuts! Great large family salad or for parties!
Top Review by cabinfeverjen
My sister-in-law introduced me to this recipe except she omitted the cheese and placed hard boiled egg slivers. I thought it was delicious!!! My husband prefers more sugar and strictly Hellman's. But it is an all time fave in our house.
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill the bottom of a large bowl 3/4 full of lettuce.
- Next layer - chopped celery.
- Next layer - chopped green onions.
- Next layer - frozen petite peas.
- Next layer - water chestnuts, place flat do not overlap
- Next layer - Carefully spread the mayo over the water chestnuts - sprinkle with sugar.
- Next layer - Sprinkle cheese and top with bacon.
- Refrigerate this overnight for best results and just before serving mix up - if you mix sooner it will get soggy.