Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a bit different from the others because it contains water chestnuts! Great large family salad or for parties!
- Fill the bottom of a large bowl 3/4 full of lettuce.
- Next layer - chopped celery.
- Next layer - chopped green onions.
- Next layer - frozen petite peas.
- Next layer - water chestnuts, place flat do not overlap
- Next layer - Carefully spread the mayo over the water chestnuts - sprinkle with sugar.
- Next layer - Sprinkle cheese and top with bacon.
- Refrigerate this overnight for best results and just before serving mix up - if you mix sooner it will get soggy.
My sister-in-law introduced me to this recipe except she omitted the cheese and placed hard boiled egg slivers. I thought it was delicious!!! My husband prefers more sugar and strictly Hellman's. But it is an all time fave in our house.
I love 7 layer salad! This was very good! I did add a touch of vinegar to the dressing, halved the recipe, and left out the bacon and cheese. Thanks!
We made this for my mom, she loves pea salads. I used romaine lettuce and bacon bits in a jar. The flavors were stronger than what she is used too and the dressing needed a little more flavor. I think this would be a very versatile recipe to adapt to personal tastes and will try this again at a later date.