Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this on Hillbilly Housewife's website. It is very moist and tasty! It would taste good with a number of frostings, including a cream cheese frosting. I tried it with store-bought frosting, as well as just plain with icecream and/or hot fudge.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups sugar (I used 1.5C, and it's not super sweet. I think 2C would very good)
- 2 medium eggs or 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (I reconsitituted dried buttermilk) or 1⁄2 cup yogurt (I reconsitituted dried buttermilk) or 1⁄2 cup sour milk (I reconsitituted dried buttermilk)
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a 9x13 baking dish.
- With a mixer or whisk, combine sugar and melted butter.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat well until creamy.
- Beat in applesauce and buttermilk/yogurt/sour milk.
- Add salt, baking soda, cocoa, and flour. I sifted all of the dried ingredients onto parchment paper, then added it slowly to my mixer while it was stirring. This helped inhibit clumps from forming. Otherwise, mix it for a couple of minutes to make it smooth (200 strokes if mixing it by hand).
- Pour batter into oiled baking dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before spreading icing on top.