Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
wonder why they call it Hillbilly cake? don't remember where I found this little treasure...haven't made it yet..but the title intrigued me..recipe said to boil the ingredients before the flour for about 1 1/2 mintues..sugar, water, butter, nuts, raisins, spices...then continue with recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 1 cup coconut
- after boiling the ingredients up to the flour -- pour into a large mixing bowl.
- add the flour, sifted with 1 tsp baking soda.spread in a greased and floured 9x12" baking pan.
- bake at 350* for about 1 hour.or until cake tests done with toothpick -- or starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- spread with the following:TOPPING:.
- combine 2/3 cup melted butter with the brown sugar.mix ell.add 6 tbls light cream and 1 cup coconut --
- Mix thoroughly and spread on warm cake( recipe said to let cool about 25 minutes.).
- place under a broiler a few minutes till brown and bubbly.