Recipe by drhousespcatcher
A chili smothered hamburger rom the Retro Diner. You want fries with that?
- 3 1⁄2 lbs ground round, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large finely chopped canned green chili pepper
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato
- 1 (1 lb) can red kidney beans
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl combine 2 pounds round with garlic and form into 4 patties. Then in heavy skillet such as cast iron, sear on both sides. Turn down heat and cook for 5 to 8 more minutes or until juices run clear. Set aside in warmer.
- Add the oil and saute the onions garlic and bell pepper until onions are semitransparent. Put in bowl and set aside.
- Then brown the rest of the meats. Drain off fat.
- Add salt, chili powder and pepper, tomatoes and kidney beans. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cooked onion mix. Simmer a bit more or until completely heated. Stir often.
- Place the patty on the bun and smother with chili mix.
- top with chopped onions and cheese.