Recipe by Rita~
Asian influenced chicken using apricots, wine, ginger, garlic, basil, teriyaki be made as a main meal or as appetizers using only wings that's cut at the joints. Serve with white rice and a green salad.
- 4 ounces dried apricots
- 1⁄2 cup peach Chardonnay wine, will do (Abor Mist or Andre peach Champagne)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup light honey
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 lbs chicken legs (or combination) or 5 lbs chicken thighs (or combination) or 5 lbs chicken wings, washed and towel dried (or combination)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan heat apricots, chardonnay, lemon juice, brown sugar simmer till sugar is dissolved.
- Puree in a blender till smooth.
- Add garlic, ginger, sesame oil and teriyaki sauce stir and set aside.
- In a gallon size bag mix flour, cornstarch, and spices.
- Shake a couple pieces of chicken at a time to coat with flour mixture and set aside till all chicken is coated.
- In a large frying pan heat shortening over medium high heat.
- Brown a couple pieces of chicken at a time raising the heat if need be to golden brown and crisp on all sides.
- Drain on brown paper.
- Coat each piece of chicken with apricot sauce place on a lined a large cookie sheet with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Turn oven to broiler and crisp chicken watching not to burn.