My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices white bread, crustless and crumbled
- 1/2 cup milk, for soaking
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/2 cup onion, cooked in 1 tablespoon oil until soft, finely diced
- 1 3/4 lbs beef chuck or 1 3/4 lbs ground turkey or 1 3/4 lbs ground chicken
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs, for coating
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 20 ounces white mushrooms, stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Scotch whisky
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 leeks, white parts only, cut into 3/4-inch rounds (1/2 pound)
- 3 stalks celery, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch lengths (6 ounces)
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch lengths (1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup parsley, minced, for garnish
- potatoes, Boiled (for serving) or rice, cooked (for serving)
- 1* If you substitute ground turkey or chicken, then season the poultry mix with thyme and sage and omit the coriander.
- 2TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS: Soak the crumbled bread in the milk for 15 minutes or until softened. Squeeze out the excess moisture and transfer the soaked bread to a food processor al ong with the egg, thyme, rosemary and coriander.
- 3Process until combined, then add the cooked onions, 2/3's of the meat, salt and pepper to taste, and process until blended.
- 4Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the remaining meat and mix with your hands.
- 5Roll the meat into thirty two 1 1/2-inch meatballs, then roll the meatballs in the dry bread crumbs, coating all sides.
- 6TO COOK THE MEATBALLS AND MAKE THE SAUCE: In a 6- to 7-quart casserole, over moderate heat, heat the vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- 7In two batches, brown the meatballs making sure they are crisp on all sides. When they are brown, remove them with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- 8Add the shallots to the remaining fat in the casserole and saute for a couple of minutes or until tender.
- 9Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
- 10Add the whiskey and boil, scraping up the juices on the bottom of the casserole into the whiskey and simmer for a minute or so or until the whiskey has almost evaporated.
- 11Add the mustard and the flour and cook for a minute. Add 2 cups of the beef broth and bring it to a simmer, whisking all the while. Add the bay leaf and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- 12Adjust the seasoning and return the meatballs to the sauce (the dish can be made a day or two in advance up to this point). Simmer the meatballs, uncovered, to heat them and finish cooking them while you make the vegetable garnish.
- 13TO MAKE THE VEGETABLE GARNISH: In a separate 12-inch skillet over moderate heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter.
- 14Add the carrots, sugar and the remaining 1/4 cup of beef broth. Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until partially cooked.
- 15Add the leeks, celery and parsnips and 3/4 cup of water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
- 16Uncover the skillet, evaporate the liquid over high heat until the vegetables are glazed. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 17TO SERVE THE DISH: Discard the bay leaf. Spoon the meatballs onto a plate and top with mushrooms and gravy.
- 18Scatter glazed vegetables over the meatballs and garnish with the parsley.
- 19Serve with boiled potatoes or rice.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Highland Meatballs With Mustard and Whisky Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.0
- Calories from Fat 405
- Total Fat 45.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 150.5 mg
- Sodium 755.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: