Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A variation of beef stew.
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 lb sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 apple, pared and sliced
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- Coat beef with flour, salt, pepper, and sage.
- Place in crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on low until beef is tender.
- This can also be done in a casserole for 1 1/2 hours at 350°F.
So simple to make! This did not say what type of sausage to use, therefore I used Polish Kielbasa. I also used a Granny Smith apple, as they hold up better when baking. I had concerns about the low amount of liquid used in this recipe. So I checked and stirred it every 1/2 hour as it was baking in the oven. When I opened the lid of the dutch oven after a full hour of baking I was hit with such a wall of aroma!! Oh my goodness, I wanted to eat it right then!!! But it needed another hour of baking. The liquid level was fine, so no need to add more if you make this using the oven method. I knew if I used the crockpot method I'd have no worries at all with the liquid amount. Southern Chef, thank you for posting this great recipe. I made this for My 3 Chefs game 2007... Theme: Recipes having these words in title 'Hot Pot'