Recipe by Steve_G
Cooks in 80-100 minutes with crisp skin, very moist. From Cooks Illustrated.
Top Review by CCinSC
Hands down, without a doubt, the BEST turkey I've ever made (including the fried one). Shoot, it was the best turkey I've ever eaten. This is the only way I'll do a bird again. Incredibly moist and delicious you can't go wrong with this one!
- 354.88 ml kosher salt or 236.59 ml table salt
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 5443.10-6350.29 g gross weight whole turkey, butterflied, rinsed thoroughly, giblets, neck, and tail piece removed and reserved for gravy
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- To brine the turkey: Dissolve salt and sugar in 2 gallons cold water in large stockpot or clean bucket.
- Add turkey and refrigerate or set in very cool spot (not more than 40°F) for 8 hours.
- Set slotted broiler pan top on top of roasting pan with foil-covered dressing and spray with nonstick cooking spray; set roasting pan on baking sheet to support bottom.
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse well under cool running water.
- Position turkey on broiler pan top; thoroughly pat surface of turkey dry with paper towels.
- Refrigerate turkey and dressing, uncovered, 8 to 24 hours.
- To roast turkey with dressing: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450°F.
- Remove broiler pan top with turkey and foil cover over roasting pan; replace broiler pan top with turkey.
- Brush turkey with melted butter.
- Place entire assembly with turkey in oven and roast until turkey skin is crisp and deep brown and instant-read thermometer reads 165 °F when inserted in thickest part of breast and 175°F in thickest part of thigh, 80 to 100 minutes, rotating pan from front to back after 40 minutes.
- Transfer broiler pan top with turkey to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, place roasting pan with dressing back in oven, and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cool dressing 5 minutes, then spoon into bowl or onto turkey serving platter.
- Carve turkey.