1/1 Photo of High Roasted Turkey
1 hr 40 mins
Cooks in 80-100 minutes with crisp skin, very moist. From Cooks Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To brine the turkey: Dissolve salt and sugar in 2 gallons cold water in large stockpot or clean bucket.
- 2Add turkey and refrigerate or set in very cool spot (not more than 40°F) for 8 hours.
- 3Set slotted broiler pan top on top of roasting pan with foil-covered dressing and spray with nonstick cooking spray; set roasting pan on baking sheet to support bottom.
- 4Remove turkey from brine and rinse well under cool running water.
- 5Position turkey on broiler pan top; thoroughly pat surface of turkey dry with paper towels.
- 6Refrigerate turkey and dressing, uncovered, 8 to 24 hours.
- 7To roast turkey with dressing: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450°F.
- 8Remove broiler pan top with turkey and foil cover over roasting pan; replace broiler pan top with turkey.
- 9Brush turkey with melted butter.
- 10Place entire assembly with turkey in oven and roast until turkey skin is crisp and deep brown and instant-read thermometer reads 165 °F when inserted in thickest part of breast and 175°F in thickest part of thigh, 80 to 100 minutes, rotating pan from front to back after 40 minutes.
- 11Transfer broiler pan top with turkey to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 20 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, place roasting pan with dressing back in oven, and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 13Cool dressing 5 minutes, then spoon into bowl or onto turkey serving platter.
- 14Carve turkey.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for High Roasted Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.1
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 228.3 mg
- Sodium 14362.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 67.8 g