Recipe by Montana Heart Song
There is no shortening or butter in these biscuits, light fluffy and high with leftover mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes and with a slight touch of herbs in the dry dressing mix. This is so easy! One of my hubby's favorites.
Top Review by YungB
I really like the flavor of these biscuits. However, I am too sure about the texture. Is the crust suppose to be on the chewy side and the crumb is on the heavy side? Maybe it is suppose to be like this since it has no butter/shortening. Anyway, I still enjoyed them. Thanks for posting.
- 2 cups white flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tone's buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix or 1 tablespoon hidden valley dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixing bowl mix flour, baking power and salt and dry dressing mix.
- If leftover mashed potatoes, warm them in microwave, or room temperature.It is fine if you have mashed potatoes with cream cheese in them or margarine or herbs. You may also make 1 or 2 cups instant potatoes using the directions on the box.
- Add mashed potatoes and mix. I use my hands.
- Note: I freeze leftover mashed potatoes in 1 cup quantities for these biscuits.
- In small bowl, add beaten egg and milk. Wisk together.
- Add the milk mixture into the dry mix and mix with a spoon until the sides come away from the bowl and dough is formed. Mix lightly.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Turn out on a slightly floured board and pat down and around. Do not use a rolling pin. Pat down until 3/4 inch or 1 inch high.
- Spray Pam on baking sheet.
- Use a glass to cut out or a biscuit cutter.
- I make 9 - 10 large biscuits.
- Note: There will be little bits of herb throughout the biscuits. Good with honey and margarine or white gravy.
- Note: I cook mine, it takes 12 minutes and mine are large in diameter. Take out of oven when light brown to medium brown.
- Breadsticks: Pat out and cut in strips, I like to have the dough about an inch high.
- Lightly roll each strip, back and forth until it is round. Place on the baking pan with space between. You may brush with margarine or garlic butter the last few minutes of cooking. Cooking time: approx 7 minutes, but it is based on the size of breadsticks. You may serve garlic butter for dipping the breadsticks. Watch closely, they are small in diameter.