Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This spice cake is a delicious healthy remake of classic pumpkin bars. We love it for breakfast. This recipe came from Coconut Recipes. When I made this recipe I used regular White Granulated Sugar, Applesauce in place of the coconut oil, Greek Yogurt, All Purpose White Flour, and left out the Nuts. I made these changes based on what I had on hand. The batter smells wonderful. I did have to add on another 10 minutes to baking. After baking I covered the cake with plastic wrap over night. The next day I drizzled a glaze over top and had a piece. The texture was like a firm pumpkin pie. Very yummy!
- 158.51 ml whole unbleached cane sugar
- 118.29 ml coconut oil
- 29.58 ml molasses
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml cottage cheese or 236.59 ml Greek yogurt
- 236.59 ml pumpkin puree
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml whole wheat, spelt or 354.88 ml buckwheat flour
- 12.32 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ginger
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml allspice
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the cane sugar and coconut oil. Add the molasses, eggs, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. Stir to thoroughly combine. Dump the flour on top of the batter (don't stir just yet). Sprinkle the remaining ingredients except nuts over the top of the flour. Alternately you can use a small sieve to sift the dry ingredients over the batter. Stir to combine. Pour into a greased 9x9 inch baking pan. Sprinkle nuts over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.