Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
not as sweet as one would think with the honey. Good sandwich bread. I found this recipe in a mid 70's Women's Day magazine. Soft and medium textured. Kids love this bread.
- 4 -5 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 8 ounces 2% fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Generously grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- combine two cups of the bread flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl,mix well.
- heat water, honey and margarine in a small saucepan until very warm 120 to 130 degrees--butter does not have to be melted.
- add warm liquid,cottage cheese and eggs to flour mixture.
- beat at low speed until moistened, then beat 3 minutes at medium speed, stir in whole wheat flour, oats and nuts, plus enough of the bread flour to form a soft dough.
- knead dough on a floured surface about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- place dough in a large greased bow.
- turn to bring greased side up, cover with damp towel.
- let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 90 minutes.
- punch dough down, divide into two parts and let rest, covered with inverted bowl for 10 minutes.
- shape into two loaves, place in prepared pans, and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- bake in 375 degree oven for 35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- removes from pans immediately, let cool on wire rack.
WOW! This is an amazing bread! I double it, because my bread pans (4) are welded together (commercial pans). It makes both great toast and sandwiches. This is in my bread rotation. I make all my own breads and this is a very delightful addition. I only wish I could five this 10 stars!! Thank your for posting.