Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
The kids love marshmallow krispie treats - but there is so little actual nutritional value in them! I experimented with several high protein/high fiber cereals and created this recipe. I used Kashi GoLean Crunch in the red box - the highest protein and fiber content of this line of the Kashi. Please note there are three different 'GoLean' varieties made by Kashi and they vary slightly by protein/fiber content. My recipe makes 18 bars in my glass cake-pan sized pan, which produces bars with 5 g protein and 3 g fiber per bar. AND MY PICKY KIDS WILL EAT THEM! Mix/match/substitute any cereal/dried fruit/nuts you like.
- Combine cereal, soynuts and cranberries in an extra-large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Spray a microwave-safe bowl (glass seems to work best) with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in marshmallows, butter and vanilla (I like to use extra vanilla). Microwave on high for 1-3 minutes until melted. I take it out when the marshmallows start to look puffy and stir it well.
- When everything is well melted and combined, pour the marshmallow mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir with a spoon sprayed with nonstick cooking spray - work quickly! - until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour (plop!) mixture into baking dish. Using a piece of wax paper large enough to cover the dish, press the mixture tightly and evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Allow to set before cutting - will set quicker in the fridge or about 2 hours on the counter. For measurement purposes here, I cut my pan in half lengthwise and then each 'square' is cut into a tick-tack-toe grid providing 18 uniform-sized bars.