Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
This came from Obesity Help. I have not tried it, just posting for safe keeping.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or sub 1/4 cup Splenda)
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites (or sub 3/4 cup fat free egg substitute)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (don't skip this, crucial for flavor!!!)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice recommended)
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (Any Whey, Unjury is good, too)
- Combine sugar or Splenda with the milk and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low.
- Place eggs or egg substitute in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of the warmed milk mixture to the eggs; beat to combine. Pour egg mixture slowly into the milk on the stove and stir constantly until the mixture is the consistency of pancake batter, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, strain through a sieve to remove any "scrambled egg" bits that may have formed, then whisk in the protein powder.
- Stir in the zest and rice, and cook for about 5 minutes to warm through. Remove from the heat and divide evenly among four bowls. Makes four 1 1/2 cup portions.
- Tips: Make sure the rice is pretty soft when it is cooked; I usually make my rice a little al dente (firm) and for rice pudding it didn't work . Good flavor, weird texture. The pudding tastes best topped with 1/2 cup of fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, bananas -- get creative!