Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is another recipe I found in my "Brain Foods for Kids: Over 100 Recipes to Boost Your Child's Intellegence" (a send in freebie from Kashi) My family likes veggies burgers so we thought we'd give these a spin. They turned out great. For those of you who like spicy foods, feel free to jazz them up. The original recipe said to chill mixture for an hour to help firm it and then shape into patties and dredge in flour before frying. But I still found that too messy so I changed it to the directions you see below. Also original recipe called for kidney beans, but I always have pintos on hand so that is what I used. I'm sure you can use any bean you like and have it turn out fine.
- 2⁄3 cup pinto beans, cooked until tender
- 1⁄2 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot, roughly chopped
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Put beans, onion, carrot, bread crumbs, peanut butter, and egg in food processor and process until mixture forms a course puree. Season.
- Add oil to skillet and preheat.
- Divide mix into four, and drop by spoonful into skillet. Use back of spoon to smoosh and smooth into patties. Do not crowd the pan, so do 2 at a time if you need to.
- Cook 3 minutes each side until golden and beginning to crisp.
- Top with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy.