High-Calcium Turnip Greens
- Thoroughly rinse the greens under cool water.
- Remove any tough stems and tear into bite-size pieces, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or another large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped bacon and figs, and cook, stirring constantly, until the bacon is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the greens, water, vinegar, scallions, sugar, pepper and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of toasted almonds over the top of each 1/2-cup serving.