Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This was last nights side it went over great.
- 1 lb fresh turnip greens or 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen turnip greens
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 slices turkey bacon, chopped (3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried black figs
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 scallions, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons toasted almonds
- Thoroughly rinse the greens under cool water.
- Remove any tough stems and tear into bite-size pieces, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or another large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped bacon and figs, and cook, stirring constantly, until the bacon is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the greens, water, vinegar, scallions, sugar, pepper and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of toasted almonds over the top of each 1/2-cup serving.