Recipe by ellie_
Delicious and easy way to cook lamb. When I made lamb this way I was a bit skeptical but the lamb was the best I've ever made. Recipe adapted from The New High Altitude Cookbook
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This worked great at nearly sea level! The lamb was cooked perfectly for us (we like it well-done - like all Greeks) and very tender. I did use substantially more garlic - 6 cloves. Very good recipe.
- leg of lamb (6-7 lbs)
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour, for gravy
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup chicken stock, for gravy (in case there is not enough drippings)
- to taste potato, peeled (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees F.
- Place lamb fat side up on rack in roasting pan.
- With small sharp knife cut slits all over lamb.
- Place garlic slivers in slits.
- In small bowl combine savory through olive oil and combine well.
- Rub herb mixture over lamb.
- Salt and pepper lamb, if desired.
- Insert meat therometer into lamb.
- Bake at 550 degrees F for 15 minutes (rare-internal temp 140), 20 minutes (medium-internal temp 160), or 25 minutes (well-internal temp 170).
- Turn off oven.
- Do not open oven door for 3 1/2 hours.
- Pour off 2 Tablespoons fat into saucepan and cook with 1 Tablespoon flour.
- Add drippings and chicken stock to equal 2 cups.
- Cook until thickened.