Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Baking at high altitudes is a science. Found this online and posted it in response to a recipe request.
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease/flour two 9" round cake pans.
- Sift the cake flour and baking powder into a bowl and set to the side.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, up to 10 minutes.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, fully blending each one in before adding the next.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder mixture alternatively with the milk until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool cakes in the pans set over a wire rack.
I followed the directions exactly and baked for the lesser amount of time. The cake looked beautiful--didn't fall, which is a problem for me at altitude. But the cake itself was extremely dry, which came through even though I used it as a base for ice cream cake. Sorry. If anyone has any suggestions how to make this better, I'd be willing to try again, since it really did look perfect.