Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Since we live in Colorado, I am always on the lookout for high-altitude bread recipes. Much easier than worrying about conversions or hoping that a recipe designed for sea-level will turn out! This one turns out great every time! You can also add about 1/2 c of chopped nuts, dried fruit, and/or chocolate chips.
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 -3 bananas, very ripe
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine butter, eggs, sugar, and mashed bananas in bowl. Bananas should be finely mashed, there can be small (1 cm or less) chunks of banana in the batter.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in another bowl.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until well blended.
- If you would like to add optional ingredients (chopped nuts, dried fruit, and/or chocolate chips), stir in about 1/2 cup here.
- Pour dough into 1 greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
DELICIOUS!!! Baking at altitude can be frustrating but this bread turned out perfect. We absolutely LOVED it. My mods - added 1/2 c. choco chips and a tiny splash of vanilla. Also, cooked a little longer than instructed. Anyone that has struggled with baking at high altitude MUST give this recipe a try... it's AWESOME =)
Amazing High Altitude mix! I moved from low altitude to Vail, CO (8000ish) and NONE of the recipes worked! This is an all around favorite! Everyone asks for double chocolate chips (I use minis) and I sprinkle the nuts on top, so that even those who don't want to eat the nuts can enjoy it. Thanks!!
I live in Colorado at 9000 feet. I tried this for the first time today. I added chocolate chips and pecans, to the recipe. The recipe is PERFECT! The recipe is so nice and moist, and delicious. Worked perfectly for me up here, as it was written. I would give this 5 of 5 stars.