Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I make this ahead of time and throw it in the freezer but it is easy and fast to throw together for any day of the week. Good for hiding the veggies for the child who won't eat veggies like mine! You can add any vegetable. I have chosen the ones that I sneak in. Serve over any pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces chicken stock or 6 ounces vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic, and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and sugar, season to taste, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend to a puree.
- Serve over cooked pasta of your choice.
Mmmm...this was so good! And all the kids ate it (I invited my friend over, 5 kids total under the age of 6). I was so happy that the kids enjoyed it and got a healthy dose of veggies. I wouldn't say it tasted like a spaghetti sauce, but the flavor was wonderful! I think if you wanted a spaghetti sauce you might want to add italian seasonings and perhaps some spinach. I will make this again and again and will probably try some variations on the veggies in the future just for fun. This time, I made it exactly to the recipe except I left out the garlic.
Thanks Tish for the pasta sauce recipe. I was in the mood to "hide a few veggies" from the family! I used the leftovers to make Tortellini Bolognese by Christmas Carol, and it was REALLY good. Roxygirl
thanks for a great recipe i got my kids eating their vegies and they not knowing sneaky but great they loved it