Recipe by ItalianMama
Note: This is kid-friendly and a good way to sneak a little bit of veggies into their diet, but please note that it isn't intended to be strictly health food. It's just a way to make a treat a little healthier. Nevertheless, the recipe is adaptable, so there are healthier substitutions you can make. You can use all whole wheat flour, reduce the amount of sugar, or use a sugar substitute.
Top Review by 934160
I like the idea of this, but one cup of vegetable purée, especially if it is a high sugar/starch vegetable like carrots or sweet potato, does not counterbalance the full cup of sugar and 3/4 cup white flour. Go ahead and make it, but do not mistake it for health food.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable puree (see notes)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- First a note on the vegetable puree: Any vegetable will work, provided that you can get a relatively thick puree (about the consistency of canned pumpkin). For slightly more watery purees, increase the quantity by 1/3 cup and omit the water. It's easy to make vegetable puree--just cook or bake the vegetables until soft, and then puree in a blender or food processor, adding small amounts of water as necessary. Some that have worked well for me: squash, beans, peas, sweet potatoes and, of course, pumpkin--or combine several. It's easiest to make extra puree and freeze it in 1-cup portions for future loaves. (NOTE: Listed prep time does not include making the puree, as this varies depending on the vegetable.).
- To make the bread, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, veggie puree, oil, and water.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients thoroughly. Add nuts or raisins, if desired.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes; then remove and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.