1 hr 10 mins
This is my secret weapon for getting veggies into a picky toddler (or older child)! Actually, I really like it myself too. It's a breeze to make and freezes well. Usually I double the batch and make two loaves, then slice, bag, and freeze the leftovers. Just pop in the microwave for a few seconds to defrost. Great served with preserves, cream cheese, peanut butter, or other spreads. And did I mention that my kids love this stuff? (By the way, this is excellent finger food for babies, but be sure to substitute 2 egg yolks for the whole egg if your child is under 12 months old and cannot have egg whites, and omit the nuts.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First a note on the vegetable puree: Any vegetable will work, provided that you can get a relatively thick puree (about the consistency of canned pumpkin). For slightly more watery purees, increase the quantity by 1/3 cup and omit the water. It's easy to make vegetable puree--just cook or bake the vegetables until soft, and then puree in a blender or food processor, adding small amounts of water as necessary. Some that have worked well for me: squash, beans, peas, sweet potatoes and, of course, pumpkin--or combine several. It's easiest to make extra puree and freeze it in 1-cup portions for future loaves. (NOTE: Listed prep time does not include making the puree, as this varies depending on the vegetable.).
- 2To make the bread, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine eggs, veggie puree, oil, and water.
- 4Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients thoroughly. Add nuts or raisins, if desired.
- 5Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6Cool in pan for about 10 minutes; then remove and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hidden Veggie Quick Bread (No Yeast)
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.3
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 256.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: