Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry This is a great pizza to use up some lingering winter squash, and as bonuses you get to experience the glory of a delightfully smooth potato-y crust *and* enjoy some hidden nutrition. How great is that? The crust is made from a mix of Simply Potatoes® Traditional Mashed Potatoes and butternut squash combined with whole wheat flour. The same mix is used again (sans flour) as a thick, creamy "sauce," which is topped with gooey mozzarella cheese. And so you have it: a delicious cheese pizza any adult or kid would love. You can jazz things up by adding some cooked garlic or sour cream to the mashed potatoes, or go wild with your toppings. With some bacon and green onion, this becomes a baked potato pizza. With sauteed red peppers and kale, it's a comforting nutritional powerhouse. Or go with pickled jalapenos and some pepper jack cheese for a spicy, but temperately creamy delight. Experiment with different cheeses and toppings, and enjoy!
- 2 cups Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 2 cups butternut squash, cooked and mashed
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the Simply Potatoes mashed potatoes and your mashed butternut squash in a large bowl until thoroughly blended. Reserve half of the mixture in a smaller bowl.
- Returning your focus to the large bowl now containing half of the total mash mix, sift in the flour and baking powder. Work the dry and wet ingredients together until well combined and a ball of dough forms. Add flour as necessary in tablespoons to keep it from sticking.
- Once you've successfully formed a ball of dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for a few minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile: grease a pizza pan or baking sheet and shred your cheese.
- Once the dough has rested, roll it to your desired thickness and transfer to your pan, or simply press it into shape on the pan itself. Set the crust in the oven to pre-bake for about 10 minutes. Doing this will ensure that your crust cooks through entirely once you add your toppings.
- Once pre-baked, remove from the oven and spread with your reserved mashed potato-squash mix. Top the mix with the cheese, and return your pizza to the oven.
- Cook for 8-15 more minutes, or until the crust underneath has cooked through and the cheese is beginning to turn golden. Note that the exposed crust will not get very brown on top, but that the dough in contact with the pan should turn a light golden brown.