Recipe by Jaime in Winnipeg
I found this recipe in Kraft's 'What's Cooking' magazine. I made it tonight and it was a real hit. The original recipe suggests four different jello and fruit combinations: strawberry jello with chopped fresh strawberries, orange jello with canned drained mandarin oranges, lemon jello with fresh blueberries, or lime jello with fresh raspberries.
- 1 (284 g) prepared angel food cake
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups thawed Cool Whip Topping
- 1 (85 g) package gelatin powder (strawberry, orange, lemon or lime)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries or 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup fresh raspberries or 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained, divided
- 1⁄2 cup ice cube
- cold water, to fill to 3/4 cups
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cake on serving plate and cut a slice off the top 3/4 inches thick.
- Cut a trench or tunnel 1 inch wide and 1 inch deep around the center interior of the cake, making sure not to cut through the bottom.
- Remove the cake cutout.
- Stir water into the jello powder until powder is completely dissolved.
- Add enough cold water to 1/2 cup ice cubes to fill to 3/4 cups and stir into jello mixture until ice cubes are completely melted.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of jello mixture in medium bowl.
- Add the Cool Whip and stir with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Cool in the fridge for 10- 15 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
- Refrigerate remaining jello mixture until thickened (5- 10 minutes, but it took me longer than that).
- Stir in 3/4 cups of the fruit and spoon into the tunnel in the cake.
- Replace the top of the cake and frost the entire cake with the Cool Whip and jello mixture.
- Garnish the top of the cake with the remaining 1/4 cup of the fruit.