1/2 Photos of Hidden Treasure Cake
Jaime in Winnipeg's Note:
I found this recipe in Kraft's 'What's Cooking' magazine. I made it tonight and it was a real hit. The original recipe suggests four different jello and fruit combinations: strawberry jello with chopped fresh strawberries, orange jello with canned drained mandarin oranges, lemon jello with fresh blueberries, or lime jello with fresh raspberries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (284 g) prepared angel food cake
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip Topping
- 1 (85 g) package gelatin powder (strawberry, orange, lemon or lime)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries or 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup fresh raspberries or 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained, divided
- 1/2 cup ice cube
- cold water, to fill to 3/4 cups
- 1Place cake on serving plate and cut a slice off the top 3/4 inches thick.
- 2Cut a trench or tunnel 1 inch wide and 1 inch deep around the center interior of the cake, making sure not to cut through the bottom.
- 3Remove the cake cutout.
- 4Stir water into the jello powder until powder is completely dissolved.
- 5Add enough cold water to 1/2 cup ice cubes to fill to 3/4 cups and stir into jello mixture until ice cubes are completely melted.
- 6Set aside 1/2 cup of jello mixture in medium bowl.
- 7Add the Cool Whip and stir with a wire whisk until well blended.
- 8Cool in the fridge for 10- 15 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
- 9Refrigerate remaining jello mixture until thickened (5- 10 minutes, but it took me longer than that).
- 10Stir in 3/4 cups of the fruit and spoon into the tunnel in the cake.
- 11Replace the top of the cake and frost the entire cake with the Cool Whip and jello mixture.
- 12Garnish the top of the cake with the remaining 1/4 cup of the fruit.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hidden Treasure Cake
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.2
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 210.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 11.8 g