1 hr 45 mins
My husband made these last weekend and they were so yummy. One of the things we plan on serving for 4th of July.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (1/2 lb) turkey drumsticks
- vegetable oil
- hickory wood chunks or hickory chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 tart granny smith apple, peeled,cored,and thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1To make the sauce: In a saucepan, stir all the sauce ingredients together using a whisk.
- 2Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or so, until the apples are cooked and the sauce is thickened.
- 3Throw out the cinnamon stick; let sauce cool for 5 minutes.
- 4Puree sauce in a blender or food processor.
- 5Equally divide sauce into 2 bowls; set aside.
- 6To make rub: In a bowl or heavy duty plastic zip-top bag add all the rub ingredients; stir or shake to combine.
- 7Rinse the turkey legs under cold water and pat dry.
- 8Coat turkey legs with rub mixture; let stand for 20 minutes at room temperature before grilling.
- 9Spray or lightly brush turkey legs with vegetable oil.
- 10Follow your grill manufacturer's instructions for using wood chunks.
- 11Grill turkey legs over indirect medium heat for approximately 1 hour or until meat thermometer reads 180° when inserted into the thickest part of the meat (baste occasionally with sauce from 1 reserved bowl).
- 12Take legs off grill and served with sauce from the 2nd reserved bowl.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hickory Smoked Turkey Legs
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.2
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 161.1 mg
- Sodium 1467.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 45.9 g