Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
A lttle time to make but is truly outstanding.
- pork, butts
- jack's old south hickory dry rub seasonings
- yellow mustard
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
- apple juice
- Trim and season the pork butt's and let them sit wrapped in the refrigerator over night. This allows the seasoning to get into the meat.Trim most of the excess fat off the Pork butts.
- Rub the butt's down with good old Yellow mustard. The mustards flavor will drastically change when smoked. Shake on some Garlic Powder. Next liberally coat the pork butts with Jack's Old South Hickory dry rub.Now sprinkle on a generous amount of Brown Sugar and rub it in good. Turn the butt's and repeat the seasoning steps above.
- Once the pork butt's are seasoned, wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Next morning -- Get an early start as this cook may take anywhere from 10 to 14 hours depending on the size of the butt's and the fat content. I started at 5 AM for this cook.
- Pre-heat your smoker to 225 degrees. Once the smokers going you can remove the pork butt's from the refrigerator and unwrap them. Pour some Tree Top Apple Juice into a cup. Using a sterile flavor injector, start injecting the the meat every 2" to 3" and slowly draw the needle back as you inject. This will evenly distribute the injection throughout the meat.
- Once your smoker has come up to temp and the pork is injected place them in your smoker evenly space apart. If your cooker has a hotter area place the largest piece of meats in that area. Now close the lid and let them slow cook for 2 to 3 hours.
- Place some apple juice in a clean misting bottle. Use this to mist the Pork butts every 2 to 3 hours. Slow cook the pork butt's until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees. Then remove them from the cooker and place them in a aluminum pan and cover with foil. let stand 45 minutes to allow the juices to distribute and the meat to cool a bit. Using a fork begin pulling the meat apart. It should pull apart very easy. Pick out and toss any pieces of fat you wish not to consume. Most the fat should be mostly cooked down at this point.
- Serve with a pan of beans and you might want to put them in the smoker while the Butt's are cooling. A pan of Honey Cornbread is another great side. If you like your Pulled Pork Memphis style, well pile on some slaw on top of that mountain of pork then add the top bun!