Recipe by Not-2-Sweet
After running to three grocery stores looking for Hickory Smoke Salt and unable to find it, I decided to try and make my own. It worked out great! Considering the price of smoke salt, I'll never buy it again!
Top Review by eknecht
I love this stuff! I make this regularly, every couple months, and I always make some with hickory liquid smoke, some with mesquite. Adds one heck of a punch to make your fajita seasonings and dry rubs go from great to outstanding. I am asked all the time what my 'secret' is. Thanks so much for posting! ETA: Through trial and error we've discovered that 1 c of sea salt to 1 tbs liquid smoke is a great ratio, but we don't dry it, just keep it in a covered container. Won't go bad, and the liquid smoke releases it's aromatic properties as it cooks/dries out.
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix salt and liquid smoke together in a small bowl.
- Add more salt or liquid smoke to make a mixture resembling very moist brown sugar.
- Spread salt out on a cookie sheet.
- Allow to dry at room temperature or dry in your oven on the lowest temperature.
- Stir and rub salt between your fingers periodically.
- Room temp salt is ready the next day, oven dried should be ready in a couple of hours.
- Store in a jar with a tight lid.