After running to three grocery stores looking for Hickory Smoke Salt and unable to find it, I decided to try and make my own. It worked out great! Considering the price of smoke salt, I'll never buy it again!
- Mix salt and liquid smoke together in a small bowl.
- Add more salt or liquid smoke to make a mixture resembling very moist brown sugar.
- Spread salt out on a cookie sheet.
- Allow to dry at room temperature or dry in your oven on the lowest temperature.
- Stir and rub salt between your fingers periodically.
- Room temp salt is ready the next day, oven dried should be ready in a couple of hours.
- Store in a jar with a tight lid.