Prep 4 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Really good makes me feel like I am at home.
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3 lb) boneless pork shoulder, butt roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 rolls, halved
- 1 (455 ml) hickory flavored barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Combine paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper. Untie roast if necessary. Rub spice mixture over pork; transfer to bowl or resealable plastic bag. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or for up to 24 hours.
- In large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Place in oven for 2 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer inserted in centre registers 160ºF (70ºC). Transfer pork to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 20 minutes to let cool. Using 2 forks or hands, pull pork into shreds and place in bowl.
- Pour 1 1/2cups (375 mL) of the sauce over pork, tossing to coat. Pile onto rolls. Drizzle with remaining sauce.
- Barbecue Sauce.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and hot pepper sauce to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Wow this makes me ffel like I am in the South. There was a great deal of ffod to go around. Husband loved it cold