Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious candy from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Cooking time is estimated.
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon real butter
- 2 cups hickory nuts (shelled and picked over)
- Stir sugar and cream together in a large saucepan until sugar dissolves.
- Heat to 234F on a candy thermometer or until a drop of the mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add vanilla extract, butter and nuts; beat until creamy.
- Drop from spoon onto waxed paper.