Recipe by carrie sheridan
The second-course main dish served on January 20, 2013 at the luncheon following the second Obama Inauguration
- 4 (5 ounce) bison tenderloin fillets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 quart hickory chips, for grilling
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate bison steaks overnight in the refrigerator in a dish with the oil, garlic, rosemary and black pepper.
- 45-60 minutes before serving:.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and remove the large pieces of rosemary. Season with salt and pepper on all sides of bison. Allow the steaks to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to allow the salt to dilute and penetrate the meat.
- For grilling of the steaks, you will need to soak the wood chips in warm after forc30 minutes prior to grilling. The wood chips should be added to your charcoal briquettes 5 minutes prior to grilling ~ to allow them to burn and produce the necessary smoke you will need for the flavor in the steaks.
- Grill steaks on EACH side for approximately 5-8 minutes for a medium-rare steak, depending on the thickness of the pieces.
- Remove from grill and allow to "rest" for 5 minutes prior to serving.