1/9 Photos of Hibiscus Lemony Cake
Hibiscus has a tart flavor, high in vitamin C and lowers blood pressure. And lemon to enhance the tartness and Vitamin C in this cake making it not so guilty. The hibiscus gives the cake and icing a nice flavor and color. Additional food coloring can be added for a more vibrant color. Baking in a 13x9 pan makes in easy to bring to a party. I used Hibiscus Jelly to spread on the warm cake before topping with icing. You can use any berry jelly you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups milk, hot
- 2 lemons, zest cut into large strips and juice (1/3 cup juice)
- 1/3 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 3 cups flour (lightly scooped not packed)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- red food coloring (optional)
- 1Steep the lemon zest and juice, hibiscus in the hot milk till cool. Place in the refrigerator for 6 hours. It will slightly curdle as if making buttermilk. It`s a good thing.
- 2Strain saving the zest using half for the cake and half for the icing. Mincing the zest fine.
- 3You can also use a couple of the hibiscus flowers that was soaked fine minced in both the cake and frosting.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Placing rack in middle of the oven.
- 6Spray 9x13 baking dish.
- 7In a bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8In a food processor pulse butter and 1/2 the reserved zest and 2 hibiscus flowers. Then press on and add the sugar through feed tube. Process till light and fluffy stopping 1/2 way through to wipe side down.
- 9Add one egg at a time till all combined.
- 10Pour in the flour mixture and process while pouring the milk mixture through the feed tube. If a pink cake is desired add a couple drops of red food coloring with the milk mixture.
- 11Bake 32 minutes.
- 13In a food processor pulse to blend cream cheese and butter. Run processor while adding the reserved minced lemon zest and 2 hibiscus flowers form the milk mixture.
- 14Add lemon juice and sugar blending till light and creamy. Chill till ready to ice cake.
- 15While cake is warm pierce holes throughout the cake. Spread a thin layer of jelly over cake,.
- 16Cool cake.
- 17Ice cake once cooled.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hibiscus Lemony Cake
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.4
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 82.7 mg
- Sodium 272.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 41.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried hibiscus flowers