1/2 Photos of Hibiscus Jelly
1 hr 10 mins
Hibiscus is slightly acidic making this a vibrant red sweet and tangy jelly. Can be used to ice tea, top toast, pancakes, ice cream added to margaritas, martinis or drinks that calls for simple syrup try this jelly, Glaze grilled chicken or pork. The possibilities are endless. Is high in vitamin C and is a natural diuretic. It is sometimes recommended by Mexican herbalists as a remedy for high blood pressure. Hibiscus flowers also known as roselle or rozelle, sorrel, red sorrel, saril, Jamaica sorrel, Indian sorrel, sour-sour, Guinea sorrel, Queensland jelly plant, lemon bush, rosa de Jamaica, flor de Jamaica, Jamaica, quimbombó chino, Florida cranberry, oseille rouge, oseille de Guinée, sereni, agrio de Guinea, viña, viñuela, vinagreira, curudú azédo, quiabeiro azédo, zuring, carcadé, bisap....
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flor de jamaica dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice or 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 3/4 ounces dry pectin
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 1Steep dried blossom in boiling water off heat adding any optional ingredients if using. Steep for 1-2 hour over night is fine.
- 2Prepare boiling water canner and lids and jars.
- 3Strain steeped liquid twice the second time through a coffee filter. Discarding solids.
- 4Place all ingredients but the sugar in a large heavy pot bring to a rolling boil.
- 5Add sugar and return to a rolling boil.
- 6Ladle into sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe rims clean and apply lids and bands.
- 7Process in a hot water bath covered by 1-2 inches of water for 10 minutes.
- 8Shut off flame for 5 minutes.
- 9Remove without tilting the jars.
- 10Set on a flat surface in a draft free place 12-24 hours.
- 11Remove bands and wipe jars.
- 12Label and store in a dark place for 1 year.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hibiscus Jelly
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 80
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 58.2
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried hibiscus flowers