Prep2 hrs 15 mins
This wholesome bread is delicious by itself or for sandwiches. In this recipe, use creamed cottage cheese, which has cream added to it. Enjoy! Prep time includes rising time.
- In large bowl, combine 2 cups all purpose flour, salt and yeast; blend well.
- In medium saucepan, heat water, honey, margarine and cottage cheese until very warm (120 to 130*).
- Margarine does not need to melt completely.
- Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in whole wheat flour, oats, nuts and enough all purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- On floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel.
- Let rise in warm place (80 to 85*) until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Generously grease two 8x4 or 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 2 parts; shape into loaves.
- Place in greased pans.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375*.
- Uncover dough.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- Immediately remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- For softer crusts, brush tops of loaves with melted margarine, if desired.
- Yield: 2 (16 slice) loaves.
Sharon, loved this bread and it makes great grilled ham and cheese! Halved recipe and threw it in the bread machine....worked like a dream! TY for a keeper!
Very delicious healthy bread! I also halved the recipe, and used my bread machine. Will be making again soon!
Oh my...this is an exceptional recipe. I always double it...there is always someone dropping by for eggs and I give them a loaf of this bread (when it is fresh). And the feedback is wonderful. It is definately a keeper! Thank you!