Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here is another recipe from Hungry Girl's Newest Book: "Dip It Good This dip is so good it might make you shed tears of joy. The first time we tasted it, we did! BTW, this recipe's ripped straight from the pages of our #1 New York Times Best Seller, Hungry Girl 200 Under 200. Woohoo!" Serving Size: 1/3 cup Calories: 74 Fat: 1.75g Sodium: 512mg Carbs: 11g Fiber: 0.5g Sugars: 4.5g Protein: 3.5g POINTS® value 2*
- 1 tablespoon light butter, whipped kind (or light buttery spread like Brummel & Brown)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium-high heat on the stove. Once butter has coated the bottom of the pan, add onions, salt and cayenne pepper. Onions may be piled high in the pan, but they'll cook down. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 25 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sour cream, mayo and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth and then refrigerate.
- Once onions are caramelized, add mustard and vinegar to the pan. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool, add onions to the large bowl and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to combine.
- Serve at room temperature with your favorite veggies, chips, and/or crackers for dipping. ENJOY!