Recipe by senseicheryl
I recently purchased the new Hungry Girl Cookbook and this is one of the first recipes that I am going to try. Here is what the book says: "Not to sound like a cheesy commercial, but this soup is so thick, it "eats like a meal." It's almost too easy to prepare a super-sized batch, and it tastes even better the next day! (HG Tip: Freeze leftovers in individual servings for microwavable, super-filling, guilt-free snacks)." UPDATE NOTE 9/7/2008: I made this recipe today for dinner but I made just a couple changes: 1) I used 16 ounces Perdue Ground Chicken (hubby wanted more meat!) and 2) I cooked it all in my crockpot on Low for about 8 hours. Hubby and I had it for dinner and it was awesome! I posted a picture also. The change to the ground chicken changed the points value to 4 points per generous 1 cup serving. I hope you all enjoy as much as we did!
Top Review by refugeemindy
Yummy!! I did 16oz ground turkey, but other than that everything was as written. I was a little nervous about how much this made but after trying it I'm glad I will have some for the freezer!
- 4 ounces extra lean ground beef, cooked, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) package corn kernels, frozen, sweet corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the tomatoes and corn into a large pot. Add remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow soup to sit for at least 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.