Recipe by senseicheryl
Received this recipe today in an email from Hungry Girl: "Not-So-Plain Jane - Just say no to sauce-smothered beef on a bun! Our zesty concoction uses extra-lean turkey in our own special sauce... Trust us, we've got a few saucy tricks up our sleeve. Just have those napkins handy, peeps!" Serving Size: 1 sandwich Calories: 271 Fat: 3g Sodium: 835mg Carbs: 32g Fiber: 3g Sugars: 8g Protein: 31g POINTS. value 5*
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 5 small hamburger buns (light, if available)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce, from a can
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Splenda granular
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning, dry blend
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large pan with nonstick spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Add turkey to the pan. Spread the meat around in the pan to break it up a bit.
- In a small dish, combine Splenda, salt and steak seasoning. Sprinkle this mixture over the meat, and continue to stir meat in the pan. Once the meat has browned, reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions, peppers, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar to the pan. Stir, and then continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauces and paste to the pan and stir well. Reduce heat to low, and cook the mixture for an additional 5 minutes.
- Toast the buns, if desired. Put 1/5th of the mixture on each bottom bun, and then finish off with tops of the buns.
- Heads Up! These Sloppy Janes are a little sweet, because, well, that's the way we like 'em! If you don't like yours sweet, feel free to leave out the Splenda.