Here is another Thanksgiving Day recipe from Hungry Girl: PER SERVING (1 cup): 89 calories, 1.5g fat, 275mg sodium, 17g carbs, 4g fiber, 4g sugars, 5g protein -- POINTS. value 1* We loooove this swap, especially since we can't resist the usual carb-laden, high-cal version. Most of the credit goes to using low-calorie bread. (We heart Sara Lee's Delightful bread BIGTIME.) "Save the day" indeed! HG Tip! Zazzle up your stuffing by adding any of the following to it before baking: an ounce of raisins, 1 medium-sized pear (chopped), 2 tablespoons of sliced almonds, an ounce of sweetened dried cranberries, or 1 medium-sized Granny Smith apple (chopped). Each one adds less than 20 calories to each serving!
- 6 slices light bread (40 - 45 calories each with around 2g fiber per slice)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth (at room temperature) or 1 cup vegetable broth (at room temperature)
- 1⁄4 cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1 tablespoon light butter (or light buttery spread, like Brummel & Brown)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1 dash rosemary, to taste
- 1 dash thyme, to taste
- For best results, leave bread uncovered at room temperature for a night or two, until slightly stale. Otherwise, begin by lightly toasting bread.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick spray, and place bread cubes evenly along the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium pot, combine broth, celery, and onion. Cook for 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove pot from heat, and add mushrooms and garlic. Season mixture to taste with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Let cool for several minutes.
- Add egg substitute and butter to veggie/broth mixture and stir. Pour mixture into the baking pan, evenly covering bread cubes. Mix gently with a fork. Bread cubes should be moist, but not saturated (if necessary, add 1 - 2 tablespoons water, and then mix again).
- Cover with foil, and cook dish in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, and fluff and rearrange stuffing. Return dish to oven (uncovered), and cook for an additional 15 minutes.