Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here is yet another Hungry Girl recipe listed as one of their Top 10 for Game Day. "HG is here with the guilt-free spinach dip of your dreams! Gooey, cheesy spinach dip and tortilla chips -- it's one of the most delicious appetizers you can order. It's also one of the most fattening (Please don't be one of those people that pretends anything made with spinach can't possibly be bad for your diet!). So how can something contain mayo, cheese and sour cream, and still be guilt-free? Is it magic? Nah, just some clever substitution action, courtesy of the swap-mistress herself, Hungry Girl." (1/8 recipe, approx. 3-4 Tbsp. - 70 calories, 0.5g fat, 305mg sodium, 7.5g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 6.5g protein = 1 Point)
- 4 ounces fat-free monterey jack cheese (Lifetime brand or another fat-free white hard cheese, like Muenster or Mozzarella)
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 10 teaspoons reduced-fat parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped finely
- 6 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 ounce soymilk, light
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, thawed, drained & chopped
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt your Monterey Jack over a low flame.
- In a separate pan, saute garlic and shallots with some nonstick cooking spray.
- Add soy milk to melted cheese, stirring continuously. Next, add mayo, sour cream and parmesan into your cheese mixture, still stirring over low heat. Add your sauteed garlic and shallots, as well as water chestnuts. Add your well-drained, chopped spinach and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon your dip into a medium-sized casserole dish and bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Voila! Your spinach-y masterpiece is complete. You may add salt and/or pepper if desired.