Recipe by senseicheryl
From Hungry Girl: "Right Said Bread After getting a BAZILLION requests for pumpkin bread, we figured it was time to make some. And after EIGHT attempts, we got it just right. Try it and see!" Serving Size: 1 (thick!) slice Calories: 143 Fat: 0.5g Sodium: 281mg Carbs: 31g Fiber: 4.5g Sugars: 9g Protein: 5g POINTS. value 2* HG Alternative! To make this bread into muffins, evenly distribute the batter among 8 cups of a muffin pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Cook for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, let cool, and enjoy!
Top Review by AwShucks
I read this on the hungry girl site this week, and am eating it right out of the oven. I made as written, other than to divide it into 8 muffins (bake 35 minutes). They look great, but they taste a bit like "diet food." I know I'm expecting a lot, but compared to other HG recipes I've tried... I wonder if they'll taste better when completely cool. If I notice a change, I'll update. Thanks for posting! **UPDATE** OK-- they're better this morning after a night in the fridge and a few seconds in the microwave. I keep telling myself that something SO low fat can't compare to regular pumpkin bread. Since I can't add half a star, I'll leave my rating the same.** Second UPDATE** I made another batch, and forgot them in the oven. They baked about 15-20 minutes longer than recommended, and I just knew they'd be burnt. But, they taste even better! Still moist, but not as soggy as my first batch. I'll give it another star with a longer bake time.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup liquid egg substitute (like Original Egg Beaters)
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1⁄4 cup dried craisins, chopped or 1⁄4 cup regular raisins
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, Splenda, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice (in other words, all dry ingredients except for the Craisins or raisins).
- In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, egg substitute, and vanilla extract (all the wet ingredients). Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended.
- Slowly sprinkle chopped Craisins or raisins into the batter, making sure they don't all stick together, and mix to distribute them.
- Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (about 9" X 5") sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for about 50 minutes, until the top of the loaf is firm to the touch. (Bread may be moist inside. This doesn't mean it's undercooked.) Allow to cool, and then cut into 8 slices. Enjoy!