Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Hungry Girl: "We're calling this soup "Peachy-Keen," but the recipe can be made with any fruity salsa. We're sure you'll agree that Pineappley-Keen doesn't have quite the same ring to it..." PER SERVING (1/8th of recipe, about 1 cup): 151 calories, 0.5g fat, 610mg sodium, 27g carbs, 7.25g fiber, 5g sugars, 7g protein -- POINTS® value 2*
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 1⁄2 cups fat-free chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar peach salsa (like Trader Joe's Spicy, Smoky, Peach Salsa or another fruity, tomato-based salsa)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- nonfat sour cream (optional)
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
- Pour about half of the rinsed and drained beans into a blender. Add around half of the broth, half of the salsa, and half of the cumin (no need to be exact). Blend until mixture is smooth and fully pureed, and then transfer it to a large container with a lid.
- Repeat blending process with remaining ingredients (excluding optional toppings, of course). Add that batch to the container, and give the mixture a good stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (several hours is best), to allow soup to thicken and flavors to blend.
- Once you're ready to serve, stir soup thoroughly. (Soup may separate in the fridge -- this is okay!) Transfer soup to a pot or microwave-safe bowl, and heat on the stove or in the microwave until desired temperature is reached. If you like, top each serving with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cilantro, and/or a squeeze of lime. MMMM!
This wasn't bad, just not anything special. Texture was too thin for my liking. I used peach salsa, but could not detect any peachy or fruity flavor. On the plus side, it is low in calorie and high in fiber.