Recipe by senseicheryl
From the Hungry Girl Website: This tamale pie is AWESOME. Make it NOW. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. PER SERVING (1/6th of pie): 220 calories, 2.75g fat, 630mg sodium, 37g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 8g sugars, 16g protein -- POINTS® value 4*
Top Review by Jane Gilley
I made this for a family couples gathering. It was well received and no one knew it was WW friendly. It was not spicy enough for me or my hubby...but the 'gringos' in the crowd liked it just fine. I would add some cheese and a bit more spice next time....but it was tasty and I would make it agian.
- 8 ounces cornbread mix, i.e. Betty Crocker
- 1⁄4 cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 12 ounces frozen soy crumbles (like Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles or Boca Meatless Ground Burger**)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet corn, canned, drained
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, canned
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together cornbread mix, egg substitute and applesauce. Set aside.
- In a large pan sprayed lightly with nonstick spray, begin to cook onions and soy crumbles over medium heat. Once crumbles have thawed, add in taco seasoning, cumin and 1/4 cup of water. Stirring occasionally, continue to cook until the water has absorbed. Then add the taco sauce, corn, and black beans, and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a large round casserole dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray, and then evenly cover with the cornbread topping mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until top is golden brown and firm.