Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Hungry Girl: "Flat 'n Fabulous Admit it -- you find yourself singing that hip-hop jingle for the latest greasefest to come from Carl's Jr. and Hardee's: "Flat buns... I like flat buns..." (it's catchy!). And since grilled onions, a beefy burger, and melted cheese on toasty rye bread (yeah, that's what a "flat bun" is in this case) sounds delicious, we decided to HG-ify it. We're pleased to present HG's Flat Top Patty Melt."
- 2 slices light rye bread (for example Weight Watchers or another similar bread with around 50 calories per slice)
- 2 slices fat-free American cheese
- 3⁄4 cup onion, sliced
- 1 veggie burger, Original Boca Meatless Burger
- Toast bread slices until they are halfway to desired crispiness. Top each slice with a piece of cheese, and continue toasting until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
- In a pan sprayed with nonstick spray, cook onions with 2 tablespoons of water over medium heat until desired texture is reached (3 - 5 minutes).
- Prepare burger patty according to the directions on the package (either in the pan sprayed with nonstick spray, or in the microwave). Place half of the grilled onions on one cheese-topped bread slice, and cover with the burger patty. Top with the rest of the onions, and finish off with the other slice of cheesy bread. Enjoy!