Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Hungry Girl: "Fries, Fries, Fries, YEAH! No one in their right mind would ever think of chili cheese fries as a guilt-free food. But we're only human, and we LOOOOOOOVE fries smothered in chili and topped with cheese! Plus we promised you guys a swap a few months back, so we had no choice but to create a ROCKIN' version based on our famous Bake-tastic Butternut Squash Fries (and we're so glad we did!). Check it out..." Serving Size: half of recipe (1 HUGE serving) Calories: 248 Fat: 1g Sodium: 762mg Carbs: 47g Fiber: 11.5g Sugars: 9g Protein: 22g POINTS® value 4*
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash (large enough to yield 20 ounces uncooked flesh)
- 1 (9 1/2 ounce) container Boca meatless chili (**) or 9 1⁄2 ounces of another low-fat vegetarian chili (**)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- nonfat sour cream (optional)
- chopped scallion (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the ends of the squash. Cut squash in half widthwise (making it easier to manage) and then peel squash halves using a vegetable peeler or a knife. Cut squash in half lengthwise, and then scoop out all the seeds. Next, cut squash into french fry shapes (for best results, try to keep them even in size). Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture. Place squash in a bowl, add a light mist of nonstick spray, and sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper. Toss squash to evenly distribute salt and pepper, and then transfer to a large baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Use 2 pans if needed. Squash pieces should lie flat in the pan.
- Place pan(s) in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or so (longer for thick-cut fries, shorter for skinnier fries), flipping halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.
- Leaving the oven on, transfer fries to a large oven-safe plate. Prepare the chili as directed on the package, and then pour it over the fries. Sprinkle with cheese, and place the plate in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Carefully remove from the oven and, if you like, top with sour cream and scallions. Makes 2 enormous and amazingly delicious servings.