Recipe by senseicheryl
From Hungry Girl: "Hip Hip Brulee! This calorie-cutting custard is creamy enough to satisfy even the PICKIEST creme brulee fans, so get ready to INDULGE! BTW, this recipe was co-developed with the QUEEN of creme brulee herself, our pal Debbie! Serving Size: 1 custard cup Calories: 104 Fat: 0.5g Sodium: 126mg Carbs: 18.5g Fiber: 0g Sugars: 17g Protein: 4.5g POINTS. value 2* HG Tip! You can pick up a kitchen torch for cheapie-cheap at places like Bed Bath & Beyond or online.
Top Review by ChefScubazz
A guilt-free alternative to the high calorie, high fat, "real" thing. I'm sure there are purists out there who will say just eat less of the full-fat, full-calorie recipe. You go ahead, I'll stick with this recipe. It's easy, delicious, and satisfies my craving for Creme BrulÃ©e. I do suggest adding a pinch of salt to the heated milk mixture. The crunchy sugar topping makes this a winner!
- 1⁄3 cup liquid egg substitute (like Original Egg Beaters)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, not packed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, not packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar-free french vanilla powdered coffee creamer
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium pot, combine milk, half & half, and brown sugar. Bring to medium heat on the stove. Stir and cook until the sugar has dissolved and mixture is hot. Stir in the powdered creamer, blending well. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg substitute and vanilla extract together. Gradually whisk in the hot milk mixture. Set four 4-ounce baking ramekins or custard cups in a deep baking dish. Evenly distribute the custard mixture into the cups.
- Carefully pour hot water into the baking dish, around the cups, being careful not to splash any water into the custard (or on yourself!). The water should come about halfway up the outsides of the custard cups. Carefully transfer pan to the oven, and bake for about 28 minutes, until custards are set.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, and then refrigerate custard cups until completely chilled. Once ready to serve, top each custard cup with 1 teaspoons white sugar. Using a hand-held butane kitchen torch, caramelize the sugar (in other words, blast with fire 'til browned).